It doesn’t get any easier! This salad combines the convenience of nutritious canned black beans and sweet corn with fresh ingredients like cilantro, basil and crunchy jicama. Dressed in mustard yogurt vinaigrette and snappy barbecue sauce, it all adds up to a super speedy supper that’s high in Vitamins A, C, K and dietary fiber. Serves 4.
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup fat-free sour cream
- ⅛ teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- Pinch black pepper
- 12 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup bottled BBQ sauce
- 8 cups romaine and spinach, torn
- 12 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ½ small jicama, cut into medium dice (optional)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ 15-ounce can corn, drained (or frozen and thawed)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into medium dice
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Put chicken into bowl with BBQ sauce and toss to coat.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together remaining ingredients, except for tomatoes. Top salad with chicken and circle with tomatoes.
- Serve with dressing on the side.
Salad with dressing: 416 calories, 37 gm protein, 52 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 1 gm mono fat, 78 mg cholesterol, 10 fiber, 628 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK In this recipe, the chicken serves as a condiment rather than a main ingredient, letting the vegetables be the star. For additional color, substitute red cabbage for some of the lettuce.
Click here to see more recipes from this collection, or on the 'recipes' tag below.