Primavera perfection! Here’s a pasta that will gladden your heart with 100% of your daily dose of manganese and selenium. Sweet cherry tomatoes, aromatic basil and delicate asparagus adorn healthful whole wheat pasta. Low in fat and calories, so mangia! Serves 4.
- 12 ounces whole wheat spaghetti (or other pasta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound fresh asparagus spears, cut into 1" slices
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (may substitute sun dried tomatoes)
- 12 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 curls of Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Red chili pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in large skillet. Add asparagus, garlic and pepper. Sauté 4 minutes. Add ¼ cup water or vegetable stock and simmer until tender (about 4 more minutes).
- Drain pasta, return to pot, and immediately stir in ricotta cheese until melted.
- Add tomatoes and asparagus mixture to pasta. Gently toss.
- Top with basil, lemon zest and cheese. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 404 calories, 19 gm protein, 70 gm carbohydrate, 8 gm fat, 3 gm sat fat, 4 gm mono fat, 12 mg cholesterol, 2 gm fiber, 107 mg sodium
THE SEASONED COOK If you like some heat, feel free to add some red chili pepper flakes. Start with 1/8 teaspoon and add more as desired. Substitute any green vegetable for the asparagus depending what’s on hand. A vegetable peeler is a great tool for creating slivers of cheese.