Hospitalists devote 100 percent of their clinical practice to the care of patients in the hospital; they do not have office hours in a clinic. These specialized physicians are experts at managing complex medical problems in hospitalized patients.
Swedish Hospital Medicine provides coverage 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on each of the our medical center campuses. You may experience a different hospitalist during the daytime than in the evening, but they are all members of the same team.
Benefits to Patients
Hospitalists make a significant difference in the experience of inpatients because they:
- Are specifically trained to provide the highest quality and coordinated care in a hospital setting
- Serve as expert medical consultants to surgeons and other specialists
- Are available 24/7 and can answer any immediate questions.
- Are familiar with key hospital personnel, such as medical subspecialists, surgical consultants and case management which includes social workers and nurses
- Can anticipate problems and rapidly respond to crises or changes in a patient's condition
- Can provide primary care physicians with immediate updates on a patient's condition
- Can reduce the amount of time a patient has to wait for test results and specialty consultations
- Can participate on the Palliative Care Consult Team
Reflecting the cultural diversity of our program, additional languages spoken by Swedish Hospital Medicine members include Cantonese, French, Gallegos, German, Hindi, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Mandarin, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swedish, Urdu and Vietnamese
Swedish Hospital Medicine